The Dock is the system in Mac that works as a two-way connection. Dock in a computer system is to fill the space portability and the work and play stations. The dock system in Mac can provide both of these facilities in the best way. The main use of docking is to make your Mac device capable of connecting to other devices like LAN, internet, printers, scanners, etc. Docking also allows the users to mix the work systems that are Home and office together in a single device. But for security purposes, we need to hide the dock system. Because of it, some fraud users can create a crime. So hiding it for some time is the best option. We will see the hiding process and methods of Dock on Mac devices below;
What is the use of Dock in Mac devices?
There are various uses of the Dock in Mac devices. The first use is to keep the frequently used application in a highlighting place. So here you can find it easily. The best example of a Dock is the launchpad and the Bin. Here you will find those recently used applications. The main feature of the Dock is that it will highlight the three recently used applications and the newly downloaded files from the internet. Now we will see the things that a dock can do as given below;
- It can open the application by clicking on the application icon.
- Then it can also open files. You must drag the file on the application icon and open the document in the Dock.
- It can also hide the application when you open another application.
- Then next, it can show the applications in the finder.
- After that, if you open an application, the Dock will hide the other application.
- For that, command and click on the application icon you want to open.
- Then it can also add and remove or rearrange the items in Mac docks.
- Even the Dock can create shortcuts to the menu.
- That’s it.
Methods to Hide Dock on Mac:-
There are two ways or methods to hide the Dock on Mac. Due to the security of Mac, you will need to hide the Dock on Mac. The Dock is a bar-like device kept below the Mac device screen. For easy use, one can add and remove applications from Dock on Mac. Following are two ways to hide Dock on Mac;
Method 1:- Hide Dock using system preferences on Mac:
Following the instructions and steps below;
- Turn on your Mac or Apple device.
- Then open the desktop screen.
- You click on the Apple symbol in the screen’s upper left corner.
- Then scroll down the list to reach system preferences.
- Now click on the System Preferences option.
- In system preferences, you will see the Dock option.
- Click on it.
- Then the next tab will open.
- You will see various boxes with ticks.
- From those boxes, tick the box with the “Automatically hide and show the Dock” option.
- After selecting the box, you will see the Dock will disappear.
- Now to reappear the Dock take your cursor to the place of Dock then it will appear.
- Or go to the default at the bottom of the screen.
- That’s it.
Method 2:- Hide Dock using keyboard shortcut on Mac:
- There are various key shortcuts to hide the applications.
- Then one of them is to hide the docks on Mac.
- For that, press the key Command + option + D.
- These are the shortcut keys to hide the Dock on Mac.
- That’s it; in this way, you can hide the Dock on Mac using these two methods or ways.
Steps to hide Dock on Mac using finder:-
Finder is the way to find the application in the Dock on Mac. The finder option can also help to hide the Dock on Mac. Following are steps to hide Dock on Mac using the finder;
- For that, open the Mac device.
- From there, open the Apple menu.
- In apple, the menu selects System Preferences.
- Now the new tab will open.
- There you will have to choose the Dock option.
- Then select the Dock and Menu bar option.
- After that, the docking pane will open.
- Then find the option Automatically hide and show Dock and select it.
- And then, select the preference pane.
- That’s it, and the Dock will automatically hide and show whenever you need it.
Steps to hide Dock on Mac using Dock itself:-
Yes, you heard it right. You can hide the Dock from the Dock itself. Following are the steps to hide docks using the docks themselves;
- Now open your device.
- Then take your mouse cursor to the Dock separator.
- From there, right, click on the dock separator.
- Then the list of options will appear.
- From the list, select the Turn Hiding On option.
- Now the dock option will hide immediately.
- Whenever you take away the cursor, the Dock will hide.
- And whenever you take the cursor to the dock place, the dock option will appear.
- That’s it; using the Dock itself, you can hide the Dock on Mac.
Steps to change the size of the Mac Dock:-
Instead of disappearing the Dock, one can decrease the size of the Dock so that it will not be visible. Following are the steps to reduce the size or change the size of the Dock on a Mac;
- Now go to the Mac device screen.
- From the screen, select the Apple menu.
- Then from the apple menu, select the System Preferences option.
- In the system, preferences choose the Dock option.
- Then select the Dock and Menu Bar option.
- In the Dock and menu, you will see the Magnification option.
- There will be panels to increase and decrease the Magnification of the Dock.
- By moving the Magnification bar, you can change or customize the size of the Dock.
- That’s it; set the size of the Mac dock as you need.
Steps to shift the place of Dock on Mac(From left or right):-
You can change the place of the Dock from left to right or right to left on your Mac device. To change or shift the position of the Dock from left to right and right to left, you have to navigate the Dock. For navigation, start with the Dock divided. Then click the SHIFT button on the keyboard. And click on the divider and then drag the Dock to the left or right side wherever you want. That’s it; this way, you can shift the Dock from one place to another.